http://solaceandserenity.blogspot.com/
Thursday, February 04, 2010
Sawasdee
Thailand (Day 1): Dec 23, 2009

After so much preparation, anticipation, and excitement, I finally arrived in Bangkok. Not like my Phuket trip where I almost miss my flight, everything turned out smoothly. Except that I can’t find my roommate Marius.

Marius, a Romanian guy working in France, WAS my online friend prior to this meetup. We chatted couple of times in FB and Skype. And we planned to get hammered, plastered, and wasted! My drinking buddy so to speak… NOT!

I looked for him for an hour, asked the information service to page him but to no avail. I tried to call him several times but he can’t be reached. When I was about to leave the airport and to go the city, I received a text msg saying that he’s just having lunch with a friend on the second floor of the airport! Sweet! duh!

Since I have already taken my brunch in KL, we didn’t stay there for so long. After the usual hi hello, we took a cab and went straight to Khao San Road where I booked our room at Rambuttri Village Inn. His French friend (which I forgot the name), joined us since he still have few hours to kill before flying to Australia. Our room wasn’t ready yet when we arrived. But not to waste our precious time, we just leave our luggage and head out to see a glimpse of Bangkok. This isn’t my first time in Bangkok. I was here in 2007 with my friends Anai, Gen, and Dru. But they were the one who booked our hotel, prepared the itinerary and planned everything. I did nothing so to speak. This time, I am doing it by myself or with fellow solo-travelers and just all play by ear.

Like I said, Mr. French guy only have few hours to spare so instead of wasting our time navigating the streets, we hired a tuk-tuk for only 20THB to bring us to different sites nearby. Alas! We were trapped in a scam! Stupid me, I totally forgot about these numerous modus-operandi in Bangkok where we once victimized (almost) last time. He forced to bring us to tailor shop and travel agency in exchange of free gas coupon. Marius had some heated argument with the driver but in the end, we bowed out. Come on, this is just our 1st day in city of smiles, I don’t want to ruin my mood at this early stage… NOT YET… hehe.

After the stupid argument, attempt to visit temples, and a long walk, it’s about time to bid goodbye to his friend. But before we headed back to our hotel, we had our 1st local noodles and our 1st bottle of local beer at one of the local cafeterias (god knows where).

We went back to our room and took a quick nap. Did I? nah, but I think he did. Prolly, around 6-ish, we went out to find something to eat (again). We were strolling in Soi Rambuttri when we met Andy! We exchanged messages in Travbuddy few times since he will be joining us in Bangkok, Koh Samui, and Koh Phangan but I barely know him yet. Dunno if he's nice or not haha. I also met Ben, my kayak-mate in Halong Bay, in Khao San Road. He’s traveling with Chayne and Nick but I didn’t see the Kiwi couple. On that same day, I also randomly bumped-in with the Brit guys I traveled with in Halong Bay, Vientam a week back. Small world, aye?

At night, we met up with Jodi, a Filipina-Australian, who’s also staying at Rambuttri. We've been talking in Facebook and Travbuddy weeks prior to this but I haven't met her in person yet. Since all of us were there for the XMAS Alcoholiday Meetup the next day, we decided to check out the meetup place Hippie Hi Bar. It took us almost an hour searching, to the point that I have to call Dodge (Thai) for the direction. Still, we got lost and we found Hippie ‘de Bar instead. We ordered a pitcher of beer and chilled out for a while before hitting the bar/club for our first taste of BKK’s night life.

There are tons of bars, pubs, and clubs to choose from, name it and you’ll find it in Khao San. We chose to stay in “The Rooftop” bar, situated in the middle of Khao San, which has a live band / singer playing nice acoustic and alternative rock music. The night wouldn’t be complete without the 1st taste of bucket of joy! Yes, buckets! We ordered Blue Lagoon and Redbull Vodka coupled with our beers. Out of nowhere, an American lady (Jodi’s bestfriend haha) joined our table. She’s obviously drunk or may be stoned but she's harmless and funny. She entertained us actually (a bit).

After the bar closed, two Aussie guys on the next table recommended going to an Irish after-hour pub just few blocked away. We all went there but it was almost empty. And since it was already past 3am, Marius decided to just hit the bed and have some beauty rest lol, Jodi stayed with the Aussie guys, while Andy and I decided to go somewhere else.

We found a place that’s still open at that time and we ordered our last beer for that night. We just stayed outside and watched people pass by; we even witnessed local people fighting. What an interesting scene!

With nowhere else to go, we just stayed at the sidewalk trying to finish our beer. It was already past 5am when we called the night off.

What a nice way to start this trip. And yeah, I found a drinking buddy in Andy! A bloody good mate! :)
posted by Joseph @ 5:46 AM  
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
My Entries
Archives
FAVORITE LINKS
EVAN AND JARON lyrics
Template-By

Visit Me Klik It